LiPeony Shop

Friday, October 31, 2008

The Nightmare Before Christmas

I admit I put off seeing this movie for a very long time. I saw it last year along with Tim Burton's Corpse Bride and I must say they are fantastic! I really love the characters and just the whole setting. If you haven't seen either movie before please do! Nightmare before Christmas is this wonderful story about Jack the pumpkin head and the denizens of Halloween town. It has adventure, a moral, song and dance, unforgettable characters, brilliant voices and Christmas all rolled up in one great package! Btw above is this pendant inspired by one of the scenes of Nightmare before Christmas made by http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5603276. I know a lot of girls that love this movie and this would be a great present for them. I have a Nightmare Before Christmas cotton tote bag that I use at college and many people commented on how much they loved the movie... even my Histology teacher told me how much his daughters loved the movie. Now that is kind of strange. Tim Burton has always been known for his quirky Gothic like style that range from the beloved Edward Scissor hands to the claymation works of Corpse Bride and I'm sure he did one of those Batman movies lolol. What is claymation? Claymation is a stop motion based animation. Basically you create a character out of clay, record a second, move the clay character a little bit and record another second. It keeps going and going until all the seconds are played and it seems like the clay character is moving. For more info click on Claymation and it leads to a wikipedia article. I have great respect for claymation movies because I've done claymation myself and trust me it takes a lot of time and patience to make a movie. My 2 minute animation took 6 months to complete. Not only do you have to move them in tiny amounts and record it, you have to make sure the clay character doesn't melt underneath the bright lights and your own warm touch. Also afterwards you have to do massive amounts of editing to zip out things you accidentally recorded like your hand or movements that don't seem to flow. Above picture is a felted Jack that is completely adorable! This little guy was made by http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6011251. Felting I heard is just as detailed as claymation.Speaking of Halloween and Christmas. It's getting chilly! I found this perfect little hoodie for your little ones to wear by http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5709381. I love hoodies because they're so comfortable and warm! They're also great for those days you just want to throw something on and not look like a mess. I think the skeleton Jack face on this one is great to be walking around the city with, in this fall weather. So if you haven't seen either movies please do so! Also they are great places to roam around in the video games Kingdom Hearts Series. They bring the world of Disney and Halloween town to life so you can interact, fight alongside and also wear costumes and such!

Have a great Halloween!

3 comments:

gamakun said...

I wanna see the claymation you made XD.

Plaidfuzz said...

Sad to say, but I have never seen this movie! And tag, you're it!

http://plaidfuzz.blogspot.com

Shakti said...

I didn't see it for a long time, either, but when I did I was hooked! Tim Burton can do no wrong in my eyes, and I have a girl crush on Helena Bonham Carter, too. :-)